Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Sometimes The Time Gets Away From Me

Hello CCFites!

This is a creative way to remind you that this Sunday, March 13th is the beginning of Daylight Savings Time. I can hear what you are thinking, "Is this the good one or the bad one?" It's the bad one, made so by the fact that we lose an hour of sleep. On the bright side...literally...we gain an hour of daylight, which means that we can actually stay out past 5:30PM and not feel like vampires!

The other reason that I am writing here is to clear up a little bit of my teaching tonight. As time is always of the essence, there are times when I rush (BELIEVE IT OR NOT!) in order to finish a tad bit faster. Unfortunately, sometimes that pressure leads some messy explanations and confusing expositions.

Case in point, tonight, I mentioned that the word "judges" comes from the same word also translated "God." God was giving ordinances to be transmitted to the judges of Israel who had been chosen to judge in smaller civic matters back in Exodus 18. Moses' Father-In-Law Jethro had suggested that this body of judges be formed. These judges are later given the title "gods" by the translators, the specific verses being found in Psalm 82:1 & 6. Jesus later quoted from these verses when the religious leaders questioned Him about calling Himself the "Son of God." That is found in John 10:30-36. I had said that this was the justification for the Mormon belief that they will one day be "gods." Being that this refers to judges and not deities, it certainly takes the teeth out of that belief...hey, that rhymes! :-)

I wanted to clear that up before posting the sermon, (notes and audio here) so that when you have the occasion to listen to it, you will have this as a better background for that section. As it is about time for me to feed my daughter Ana, I am again running out of time to tell you what a privilege it is to teach the Word to you all, and how genuinely thankful I am for each of you.

See you Sunday...One HOUR EARLIER!

Remember: It will only FEEL like 9AM...Except to the set up team...it will feel like 8AM!

Blessings,
Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment